Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Field Blog Two


Today, I attended the same 8th grade classrooms that I did my first day. I'm not sure if I came on a bad day, or the students were just getting use to each other but they were a little talkative. As the teacher was teaching the lesson, one student was not paying attention at all. He was turned talking to his friend across from him. Without a warning, the teacher turned and said "Camren and Le'Shaun those are both talking demerits for you, pay attention or I will call home." I thought this was a little aggressive. Don't get me wrong, the two were a distraction to the classroom, but I felt like they should have had a warning, or at least not have asked them to see her after class.

The other two classes went smoothly, the teacher taught her lesson though dry erase boards and doing problems with her students and then transitioning into their workbooks, doing the same thing so they had a visual when doing their homework. This seemed effective because I remember when I was in middle, even high school times where I would do something in the class, but not take notes because I thought I "understood" the concept and then got home to do homework and drew a blank.

Later on before I left, I was still upset about the teacher exploiting the students for talking. In search for the answer, I asked the teacher why she wrote these kids up because I knew she would give the logical method on her reason and felt comfortable asking her because she was my sister. She explained to me that the two have already received warning for talking previously that week. This made me feel better because in order to be a successful teacher you must create a comfortable student teacher relationship and her calling the two students out was not helping. But I can see now she wasn't being harsh towards these students, she was maintaining control over her classroom, which is a key factor in the education field.

No comments:

Post a Comment