Monday, October 27, 2014

Heights Field Expierence

   I really enjoyed going to visit Cleveland Heights, I think I really fell in love with teaching at the high school level if I decide to teach. I attended Ms. Browns classroom, there she made the students read a packet that was missing information. She then had the students read a different packet and added the information. I thought that the students weren't as engaged on the work given to them because they were talking about other things, like what happened the night before. Also Mrs. Brown put the students into groups of 2 or 3, and had them group annotate it. One of the students was unhappy that she was placed in the group that she was in. I'm not sure if her and the other girl had a previous conflict, but I felt like the two not wanting to work together extended on their actually group work because they got nothing done compared to the others group. As a teacher, you should place students in groups where they're going to achieve in and stay focused. Although, I do believe that the students should learn to work with classmates that they don't like because once they step out into the real world, they wont be able to pick and choose who they will work with and whether or not they like them.

  On this visit, I learned that if I were given the choice, I would work at an inner city school like Heights. I would want to teach here because I felt like I had a connection to them in a weird way. I understand that teaching at inner school is hard because of the amount of families that are in poverty and the students not really interested in the importance in education, but that's why I want to teach them! I want to be the difference maker in a child's life, by teaching them algebra or a sonnet. Don't get me wrong, teaching at any high school would e fun, but I feel like I would have more of an impact at an inner city school due to my diverse background and also coming from a school that was similar to Heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment